Monday, July 31, 2023

fig tree moments

 I loved learning this in my Don't Miss This scripture study. It's my new favorite story.


The story of Nathanael in the new testament is new to me. I love when people in Sunday school are like, "Oh you know the story of….(fill in the blank)" I never do. haha  Nathanael saw Jesus coming towards him and Jesus recognized him and said, “I know you. I remember you under the fig tree.” Fig trees are a dime a dozen in Israel and for a man to be under a fig tree when it’s hot out is common place. But the ways Nathanael responds says that this instance Christ was referring to was no ordinary moment for HIM. He says, “Rabbi, though art the Son of God; thou are the King of Israel” what would that moment look like for me? What if I didn’t recognize Jesus right away, but he said I remember THAT moment with you. (In the car when you prayed, that devastating night, or in the kitchen when you just lost it at the girls and you felt like the worst mom ever) What experiences could Jesus recount with me and I would suddenly know that he was Jesus Christ because only he knew the true anguish of my soul I felt in that moment. My fig tree moment. Sacred and private when I couldn’t give any other explanation of the rescuing I felt. He knew me. He was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment