Monday, October 15, 2018

Capri's first day of preschool

Capri finally graduated the early intervention program to move on to preschool! I can't think about her teacher of the visually impaired (TVI) that we had with us for three years with out tearing up.  It was a really sad but a happy day to see how much Capri has grown.  She would come doctors appointments with us to help support me in asking the right questions or clarify for me.  She would be in our home every week to teach Capri how to navigate evey day things and help us know how to best help Capri. We'll miss her so much.

We had to do alot of paperwork and meetings to transition her out of the program and have the district decide where the best placement for her would be.  A school for blind children or the district special needs classroom.  I love writing special needs now, by the way. First, because it's true. It's a special classroom with kids with speech impedements and some other learning disabilities. Second, because it doesn't make me sad like it would have a year ago.  It's just a part of our life now and it's kind of sad but it's also the best thing for her all at the same time.  I'm just been so grateful that there are options for my kids. We are so lucky to have access to these different schools and to live in a city that has great resources for our kids. Anyway, the meetings were great and they walked us through all of it and we decided to keep her in the school district and we felt really good about it. She'd be with peers more her speed and she would be pressured to keep up with them.


We realized after we got her school schedule that there wouldn't be enough time to get Winnie from school and drive to pick up Capri so we would have to send Capri on the bus.  Her orientation and mobility teacher was hoping she would have to take the bus because it would help her confidence and help her be more independent.  Capri's number one song is wheels on the bus, so she was obviously ready to go on it.











Her new TVI was there the entire day today (normally she will only be there 30 mins a day to help Capri out) and would snap pictures and send them to me.  I got these in wal-mart today and I started crying in one of the aisles.  This is Capri with her teacher and I want to frame it.  She is the sweetest and I love how she is just in the moment listening to Capri probably going on and on about her picture she painted.  


Getting on the bus!!

When she got home it was the greatest reunion ever. We ran out the second we heard the bus coming down the street and squealed and cheered for her until she came down the steps.  This is the best time of my life I think.  Seeing my babies do what I didn't know that they would do.  Our family look s different than I thought it would but exactly what I know I needed seeing it play out now.  I have been spoiled with a life that I don't feel like I deserve. It seems like sometimes we've come out of this too easy.  Both of our girls are very typical.  We have a very normal life and I feel like it hasn't been hard enough. I might regret saying that one day and I probably haven't lived long enough to experience more stuff that is definitely going to come.  But at this point its been the easier side of life.  I try not to forget all the support from Heaven I've felt in those more sad days the past couple years.  Not take for granted all that is going well right now.  But how could you take for granted your little three year old with a cane climbing onto her school bus? It's as monumental as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment